Saturday, December 6, 2008

The reason for the season

My heart is full tonight. I came home from work tonight to the news that my Aunt Susan has passed away. My heart aches. I ache for her husband and two children, I ache for my mother who lost a sister. I ache for all family members who lost a sister or aunt or mother tonight.

Whenever someone dies my thought are overwhelmed with questions, with grief, and at the same time peace. Questions on life after this life; grief over the loss of a loved one, but more so seeing the heartache of others with the loss; and peace the gospel brings, knowing that there is a God and that our loved ones are in the spirit world. I don't deal with death well, who does? But I am so grateful for the knowledge that we can live again, that we can be resurrected, that families can be together forever, that my Aunt is with her Mom and Dad tonight. Death is not the end, and this knowledge lessens the sting. I don't know that my Aunt believed much of this, if any of this at all. I can't imagine facing death without this knowledge. So for tonight I am truly grateful for the gospel. I am so grateful for Christ and his sacrifice for us, that we may live again. I am grateful for this time of year that we celebrate Christ's birth. I am grateful for a loving family. I think this year has been a year full of struggles for my family, but at the same time we have been very blessed. We have been blessed with many new little ones fresh from God, some were miracles.

I don't believe I will have the opportunity to say goodbye to my Aunt the way I am used to saying goodbye, because there will not be a funeral. So my goodbye to you Susan, is to let you and everyone know that I know that the gospel is true. I know that Jesus is the Christ, that he lives, that He suffered and died for us. I know that we have a true and living prophet on the earth today. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I know God hears and answers our prayers. I believe we are given trials to strengthen us, but at the same time we will not be given more than we can handle. I admire your bravery in battling cancer for as long as you have. I smile knowing you are with Grandpa again. Oh, how I miss him!

May we all remember why we celebrate Christmas.


6 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks Em. All I can say is "ditto"..., with tears running down rapidly.

Fayone said...

Emily,
You have such wonderful insight to the blessings of the gospel! When I read this post and the post you did for Jerry, I too had tears streaming down my cheeks! It truly is a blessing to have the gospel in our lives. I know that Susan is with her mother and father today. I know that our Heavenly Father is watching over your families during this time of loss.
I am truly sorry for your loss and our prayers will be with you and your family during this time.
We love you!
Steve, Fayone and Cameron

Tara said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad you find comfort in your faith. My thoughts are with you and your family. xoxo

Amy and Kody said...

I am sorry for your families loss. A hard as these times are we need these moments in our lives to remind us how truly blessed we are to have the wonderful gospel and the plan of salvation that we can be together again someday.

Thanks for helping us all remember what is really important, especially this time of year.

bernie said...

Emily,

You have always been so thoughtful and kind. You are a sweet person and I so do appreciate it when you so openly share your thoughts. I hope that you and your family will be able to find peace through this difficult time.

Love,

Bernie

Tyler said...

Thanks Em. Well put.