Does anyone else have mental breakdowns at Christmas? Mine usually happens after Christmas, after I slow down long enough to realize how tired I am. But this years happened early. This was the week of the major meltdown. I am not sure why? Maybe the pregnancy/hormones. Christmas is one of my favorite times of year, I love it, I really do. So I am not sure why I have this problem. That is why I want to know if anyone else does, or if I need to seek some sort of help!
This week was no exception to the stress of Christmas time and the fun and joy of Christmas time.
We decorated gingerbread houses, we made caramels, we drove around the city looking at the Christmas lights, we bought and wrapped gifts, we sang Christmas songs, we read stories by the tree, we watched the kids Christmas shows.......
But we also spent a majority of the week in tears (Mom and Gage), Gage spent a majority of the week in time out, Mom hated Dad for several days, Mom cried some more, Gage was extremely naughty some more, sleep was few and far between, Gage refused to participate in his school Christmas program and threw a HUGE fit in front of everyone, Gage and Gavin refused to see Santa, Gage got pink eye, Decker Family party cancelled, Gage refused to sing in the church Christmas song.......
I feel like I try so hard to make Christmas a magical time for my kids, a fun time for our family, I shop for two months to get deals and get the "perfect" gift for others, I make sure we do service for others, I try to teach my kids about Jesus and Santa, I do all the shopping, all the cards, all the service, all the planning, all the cooking and candy making...... I just want to make others happy. But I feel like I am not accomplishing it, I am not making Christmas wonderful for my family/kids, I am not pleasing others. So I really want to know how the rest of you out there do it all. How do you get everything done that needs to get done, and make Christmas the happiest time of year for your family without having an emotional breakdown?
4 comments:
Simplify
Just because it's important to you doesn't mean that everyone will feel the same way. Pick one or two traditions that you simply can't live without and bag the rest.
The hard part is the balance. If I do too little, which is what I've done this year, I get cranky because it's not my best. If I do too much I get cranky because I'm doing everything for all the wrong reasons. I set my bar WAY-HEY HEY LOW and now I know I can raise it a bit. I'll kick it up one notch at a time until I find what is right for me (and my family).
Gwen
P.S. Have you read the Peacegiver? It may really, REALLY help you get your Christmas wish of having Peace in the Decker Home. It changed my life and my relationships for the better.
Love you lots!
Emily
I am so sorry your week played out like that. I feel for you & I know how you feel. We have our weeks like that to.. I would just say don't do anything you don't have to do this week, cut out anything that is not necessary and just try and relax a little. Sometimes we stress ourselves out and push ourselves further than we need to. I hope things gets better for you and please let me know if you need Gage to come over and play for a few hours so you can have a break. Love Ya
Jannette
Welcome to being an over worked mother. I have to agree with your friends....simplify. I believe in the saying that there is a time and a season and maybe some of the things you are trying to accomplish during the busy season aren't meant to be done right now in your families life. Maybe some of the fun extra activities can be done every other year? The most important part is to remember to love and to love unconditionally. Children may not perform for a school/church function but it is important to put your arms around them anyway and tell them how proud you are of them and that you love them. Put your arms around your husband and give him a hug. Husbands don't always "get it", but in their hearts they do try. Most importantly, go to your Father in Heaven and thank him for your blessings of having a wonderful family and ask him for strength to deal with the trials you are given. Remember we love you tons and are forever grateful for the example you are to me and my children.
Love,
Auntie
You're not alone. And I have mental breakdowns daily -- and I'm not even pregnant right now. Give yourself a break, and try a six-pack of Diet Coke. You're a good mom. And if makes you feel better, Elle whines a good portion of the time, and MJ's second home is time out. I just try to tell myself to embrace the moments, even if they are few and far between.
Post a Comment